Registering a death


When to register the death

In most cases you will need to register the death within five days and it is best to visit the Register Office in the area in which the person has passed away. This can help avoid delays getting the necessary documents.

If the Coroner is involved you will be advised when to register the death.

We can advise you on the procedure for registering a death. Below is a guide that can help, but please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.


How A Death Is Registered

Once you have received the MCCD ( medical cause death certificate ) from the either the Doctors surgery or Hospital, the death must be registered. This should take place within the borough of the place of death, as all deaths must be registered in the district in which they occurred. Registration must take place within five working days of the death.

Who May Go And Register A Death?

Regulations state that only certain people can register a death.

For deaths in private residence, hospitals, nursing homes and rest homes, these people are:

  • A relative.
  • Someone present at the death.
  • An occupant of the nursing/residential home/official from the hospital where the death took place.
  • The person making the arrangements with the funeral directors.
  • The person who found the deceased.
  • The person in charge of the deceased.

A simple interview with the Registrar to register the death is carried out at the Register Office.

When You Go To The Registrar

You should take with you the Medical Certificate issued by the doctor showing the cause of death and the deceased’s Medical Card. You will also require the following information about the deceased:

  • Full name
  • Marital Status
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth
  • Occupation
  • Maiden Name (if female and married)
  • Spouse’s Name
  • Spouse’s Date of Birth
  • Spouse’s Occupation
  • Any forms given to you if the death has been referred to the coroners.

The registrar will issue you with:

A Certificate of Registration of Death, which you should fill in and send to the social security office for the area where the person passed away.
A Certificate for Burial or Cremation (known as a green form), which you should give to your funeral director as soon as possible
Certified copies of the entry of death can also be issued by The Registrar, you will need these for official purposes such as Insurers, closing Bank Accounts and Pension Schemes etc.
(Please be aware a charge is made by The Registrar for the certified copies)